Pagebreak in lilypond-book (was: 2.6 release)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Pagebreak in lilypond-book (was: 2.6 release)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 03:13:20 -0700

On 4-May-05, at 3:53 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
Different circumstances -- I've got a four-page piece with only one rest that's near the midway point. I'd like to force a pagebreak at that rest to allow for page turning.

I still don't understand. Why are you using lilypond-book?

I've got a few collections of pieces created in the 2.2 days, well before \book. I spent many hours on the LaTeX formatting and macros, so I'd rather keep it as
lilypond-book.

An alternative would be to use \book for each piece individually, keeping the headers in LaTeX. Currently \book forces a newpage, so I'd need to turn that
off somehow.

If you force a page-break, Latex (depending on page size settings) could put that system on a single page or commit other atrocities.

True, but LilyPond can commit similar atrocities. That's what proofreading is for. :) I know that manual breaks are often a bad idea, but this piece only has two rests
to turn pages, so I need to force a pagebreak at one of those rests.

You should have better results if you use \book; inside a lilypond-book document, \book will output each page as a single .eps , so \pageBreak will probably work.

What if I use an embedded LaTeX \newpage?

lilypond-book produces a .tex file that includes a "whole piece" .tex file. That
"whole piece" .tex file includes many .eps files.  If there's a
\markup{ \\newpage }
halfway through the .ly file, wouldn't it end up halfway through the .eps files ?
or would it end up at the beginning or end of the .eps files?

Alternatively I could try to redefine \betweenLilyPondSystem so that it acts like normal for most of the time, but does a \newpage when it gets to number 7.
That seems like a much worse solution than figuring out how to make
\pageBreak (or even defining a new \lpbookPageBreak macro) work
in lilypond-book.