Re: Default action (give just a warning?) of non-defined variables

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: Default action (give just a warning?) of non-defined variables
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 21:02:16 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 09 May 2005 09:02:44 -0700 Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't understand what you're trying to do.  Are you just trying to
> create individual parts?  If so, you should look at
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/An-
> orchestral-part.html
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

To use a template for a choral song. The \layout, \book, or whatever, keeps
untouched, but sometimes there are only one, sometimes five stanza, therefore
I am only interested to type

  \include "myfinnishpreamble.ily"

  \header {
    title = "my song"
  }

  global=...
  sopranoMusic=...
  sopranoWords=...
  altoMusic=...
  altoWords=...
  tenorMusic=...
  tenorWords=...
  bassMusic=...
  Words=...

  \include "mySATBchoral_layout.ily"
  \include "mySATBchoral_midi.ily"

Then everything would be laid out according to "mySATBchoral.ily".

But, if I have several stanza, and I want to have them between the voices,
I have to use something like

  altoWordsA=
  altoWordsB=
  altoWordsC=
  altoWordsD=

Which mixes my template, since if they are not used, I have to set them
explicitly to

  altoWordsA={}
  altoWordsB={}
  altoWordsC={}
  altoWordsD={}

Ok, I found the solution .. I may always redefine the variables. If I place the
zero definitions to the preamble file, then I always may redefine them. I will
have definitions for very many stanza and words and, but since only non-zero
staffs are typeset (à la remove-empty-staff) the zero-definitions do not matter.

Yes, it is always inspiring to describe a problem, since the solution may be
found during explaining the problem.

--
Terveisin
Heikki Junes