Re: Settings for bagpipe music

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Settings for bagpipe music
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:20:26 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "lily-devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 11:15 PM

On 29-Jul-05, at 12:15 AM, Sven Axelsson wrote:

grace notes used. I suggest this should be included in the official
distribution to save everyone from the hassle of doing it themselves.

To clarify: we're proposing that we include a
ly/bagpipe.ly
similar to ly/english.ly and whatnot.  I've tested several versions of
bagpipe.ly, and it works, other than...

Bagpipe music is a bit special since it is written without a key signature even though it actually has a signature (D major). The way I deal with this by removing the Key_engraver and Accidential_engraver might not be optimal since there are instances (though very rare) where you do like to show accidentials on certain notes. I provide a \flatten markup for those cases, but maybe there
is a better way?

... this \flatten thing.  I'm not certain that removing Key_engraver and
Accidental_engraver, and having a special \flatten markup is the best
way to do things.

I agree. What about my idea of not removing the Key_engraver and Accicental_engraver, putting it in the key of D major, and supressing the key signature with the line:

\override Score . KeySignature #'print-function = ##f

?

And also creating special note names for notes with flats like:

(bb . ,(ly:make-pitch 0 6 FLAT))
(Bb . ,(ly:make-pitch 1 6 FLAT))

?

Putting it in D major prevents the Accidental Engraver from putting accidentals in note in the key signature. Notes not in the key signature, like B flat would be printed. The key signature itself will not be printed if the key signature print funtion is set to false even if the Key Engraver is not removed.

Stephen

Other than that, I propose that we accept ly/bagpipe.ly -- particularly since
it doesn't change anything for non-bagpipe music.  I've already added
docs for bagpipe stuff.  :)