Re: [non-doc patch request] Missing \medium

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: [non-doc patch request] Missing \medium
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:36:09 +0200

OK, here comes one possible implementation of what I have in mind.

#(def-markup-command (normal-text layout props arg) (markup?)
"Use normal text font, no matter what font related properties were set earlier."
  (interpret-markup layout
(cons '((font-family . roman) (font-shape . upright) (font-series . medium) (font-encoding . latin1)) props)
                    arg))

Note that the \text command you mention does not reset the shape or
series if you happen to be in a situation where these already are
set. One example is
fespr = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:dynamic "f" #:text "espr" ) )
where the "espr" is typeset in italic bold (which might make sense
to match the dynamics font). However, let's say that the user wants
to get just the normal text font, then he can do
fEsprStraight = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:dynamic "f" #:normal-text "espr" ) )
without having to figure out that the default setting for dynamics
is italic shape and bold series and then finding out what's the
opposite of these settings.

Just as Graham, I ask for permission to submit this as a CVS patch!
Also, comments are welcome. I have been a bit reluctant to write
this patch myself, since I'm not sure how future proof this
implementation is.

  /Mats