Re: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/user/music-g...

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/user/music-g...
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:32:11 -0700

On 19-Aug-05, at 2:49 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
I think it's a good idea to continue using #up and #down. This reinforces the general
form of
\override (engraver.)grob #'property = #value

Hmm. There's still a question of style, in lily-library.scm we do

(define-public UP 1)
(define-public DOWN -1)
(define-public CENTER 0)

perhaps we should do #UP and #DOWN iso. #up and #down ?

1) is #up likely to stop working in the future? It works now, so evidently there's
a lowercase to uppercase translation happening somewhere.
2) would it be faster to process #UP instead of #up (ie avoiding that translation) ?

If it would be slightly faster, then I'd say that we should change the definitions in ly/* , but we should leave the input/* snippets (ie the user-viewed stuff)
alone.  #up is easier to type than #UP.  :)