Re: doc translations

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: doc translations
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:48:34 +0200

John Mandereau writes:

> Does it mean that that the node names cannot be translated? (Or have I
> not understood well what you explained?)

Yes, that's what I meant.  I'm not 100% sure this is the best way, but
this is what I'd like to try first.  What we'd do is (excuse les mots)

   @node First steps
   @section Premier etapes

and

   @menu
   * First steps::                 Premiere etapes

That would result in web pages:

    Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/First-steps.html
    Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/First-steps.fr.html

Having the same html file names could be an advantage, I guess; it
would be a lot easier to switch and compare different languages, and
see what other languages are available for that page, just like the
main web site.  I'm not sure about the usability of the INFO docs,
where you'd have to use English node names.

I would just like to see the effect/usability of this after having
translated a few pages, and see if that's the right way to continue,
or whether we have to think of something else.

> Thanks, I will have a look at this patch. I find translating the
> tutorial useful now, but in my opinion, translating other documentation
> is not a priority.

My thoughts exactly.

Jan.