Re: Hello!

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Hello!
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:36:01 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, P B wrote:

> Also, I just saw that one of the original developers is NOT really a fan of
> C++; if you were to try again today, what language would you use and why?  I'm
> mostly familiar with C++ and Java (yeah, big diff there, I know), but I'm
> wondering about using the VS.NET IDE to do something like this.

I composed a very sarcastic reply to this. However, I decided to rewrite
my answer:

Even if one of the original developers would not use C++ when redoing
LilyPond, such a rewrite is out of question right now. It makes no sense
at all to rewrite a good piece of software if the only reason to do it is
the language.

Furthermore, I would stay *far*, *FAR* away from a language like dot net.
It sucks big time in several respects, and if your point was to choose a
better language than C++ in terms of portability, usability, familiarity
and more, then dot net was one of the poorest choices possible.

Hth,
Dscho