Re: Hello!

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Hello!
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:13:22 +0200

> P B wrote:
> > To all:
> >
> > Hope this isn't inappropriate.  I found Lilypond a few weeks ago and
> > have been trying to familiarize myself with it; I have a MM in
> > Performance, have done quite a bit of composing, arranging, and
> > orchestration, so I thought it would be interesting, now that I'm
> > beginning courses in computer programming, to see the guts of music
> > engraving.  I would like to learn more about how to develop things for
> > Lilypond, including a GUI interface, but I'm still pretty green on the
> > programming side.  Is there a comprehensive documentation anywhere
> > explaining the makeup of the source code?

I have recently learnt the internals of lily. The source code is the main
source
of information (a good debugger will be handy, e.g. kdevelop has an easy-to-use
GDB front-end).

If you want to read anything else, there are some additional sources that I
know
of:
- The lilypond documentation. You need to know how lily works, to understand
some of the design decisions. The section about internals contains big
collections of data in an easy-to-read form, though the source .scm files are
often just as useful to read.
- Lily's authors wrote a conference paper some years ago, which contains a
short
but nice overview: http://lilypond.org/web/images/xivcim.pdf
- There's a discontinued effort to deliver an overview of
  lily's inner workings. See:
http://mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg06619.html
- I'm working on a Master's thesis about lilypond, which contains some
information. A work-in-progress available from anonymous CVS. I keep it there
only because it's practical for me, so it's completely unsupported. You can
expect it to be broken.
export CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:2401/exjobb2005-1
cvs co exjobb

Good luck!