Re: Illegal C++

From: Wiz Aus
Subject: Re: Illegal C++
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:28:44 +1000

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
To: Wiz Aus <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:35:56 +0200

I guess what frustrates me most about GNU-style developing is that so much
effort is put into neat configure scripts that are designed to run without
any intervention and have it do all the work for you, but to get there

For me, getting python headers is a matter of doing

  yum install python-devel

That's hardly trawling for hours. For debian, you can even install all build-dependencies in a single command.

But it's not just python - it's all those packages listed as being
required by the configure script. And not everyone uses linux.

You're free to make a fork of LilyPond with a Wiz-style of developing where everything comes in a 100mb zipfile that Just Works. But that's not my style, so don't expect me to spend time help you with that.

I don't, and I wouldn't want to make a fork anyway.
All I would suggest is that there was at least one webpage somewhere
that just had the links to the correct versions of everything required
to build and compile lilypond under Mingw, along with whatever
installation instructions are necessary.
Ideally of course, yes, there would be a single click install, but unless
there's already a tool designed to automatically create that install,
I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to bother just for lilypond.

REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au