Re: lilypond puts a shared library in /usr/share

From: Thomas Bushnell BSG
Subject: Re: lilypond puts a shared library in /usr/share
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:04:32 -0700

address@hidden (Pedro Kröger) writes:

>> This is very bad mojo and a violation of the GNU coding standards,
>> which require that /usr/share is only for architecture independent
>> files.
>
> really? I thought that /usr/local/share was for architecture independent
> files:
>
> "The root of the directory tree for read-only architecture-independent
> data files. This should normally be /usr/local/share" [1]

Isn't that what I just said?

A shared library is not an architecture independent file:

/usr/share/lilypond/2.6.3/python/midi.so: ELF 32-bit MSB shared object, PowerPC
or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

> But I suppose that in this case
>
> /usr/lib/python<version>/site-packages/
>
> should be the right choice?

I'm not a python expert.  I think this would be the wrong place; I
think it should go in /usr/lib/lilypond/<version> and the search paths
for lilypond's python support should have that added.

Thomas