Re: \context foo = "bar" vs. \new foo

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: \context foo = "bar" vs. \new foo
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:05:51 -0800

On 11-Feb-06, at 2:49 AM, Erik Sandberg wrote:

On Friday 10 February 2006 21.47, Don Blaheta wrote:
Would it make sense to permit \new Foo = "bar", but have it be an error
if a "bar" context already existed?

That's exactly what I'm hoping for.  :)

I'm not proposing that \context Foo = "bar" *couldn't* create a new
context, though, as I don't think there's any error-checking benefit to
that and it would break all the old files.

Again, exactly.

Maybe \context could be renamed to something else, such as \addto Staff=bar, since its primary use will be to append music to an existing context. The
word "context" might sound scary/technical to a beginner.

How much do beginners need to use \context, though? (if we allow \new Voice="alto") (this question is aimed at vocal music, since I've only used \context *once* in all my string writing, that that was a pretty weird case) Right now beginners need to use \context for vocal voices, and can either use \context or \new for all the other stuff. If we allow \new Voice="alto", then AFAIK beginners can use \new for everything. \context would only be used for playing fancy games with stuff.

If we keep \context as it is, we avoid adding another rule to convert-ly and getting accused of breaking backwards compatibility again. :) (particularly since convert-ly won't know if a \context should be turned into \new or \addto)