Re: \context foo = "bar" vs. \new foo

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: \context foo = "bar" vs. \new foo
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:42:01 +0100

Graham Percival wrote:
Would it make sense to permit \new Foo = "bar", but have it be an error
if a "bar" context already existed?

That's exactly what I'm hoping for.  :)

I haven't done this because it's extra work, but

  \new Foo = "bar"

will always create new context, and will name it "bar", so you can refer to it later with

  \context Foo=bar

I'm not sure if \addto is a right substitute for \context, as it looks confusingly similar to \addlyrics and \lyricsto, which are mostly unrelated to \context.

I'm not proposing that \context Foo = "bar" *couldn't* create a new
context, though, as I don't think there's any error-checking benefit to
that and it would break all the old files.

I'm all for it, but we should postpone this change for lilypond 3.0, where we will have ample opportunity to break old files :-)

How much do beginners need to use \context, though? (if we allow \new Voice="alto")

Almost none.