Re: Special fermatas (8.4.4 in the .35 docs)

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Special fermatas (8.4.4 in the .35 docs)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:24:02 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Graham Percival wrote:

Does anybody know why this doc section exists? It introduces four articulation marks that are covered in Articulation.

Hi!

Long time ago, when people where repeatingly asking for "contemporary music notation" and when I also had the feeling that some modern notational features were missing, I added clusters and special fermatas. Similar to ancient notation, I added these in an extra section of the manual in order to (1) show users that we are going to add limited support for contemporary notation and (2) not to intermingle too much with classical notation (I may be wrong, but I had the feeling that the main authors at that time were happy to keep such "strange" notation features separate from "usual" notation). IIRC, at that time, special fermatas did not show up in Section 6.5.1 of the manual (maybe the list of articulation signs is nowadays automatically created from the scm sources?).

Additionally, there was discussion on how the overall structure of the manual should be: (a) either by (implementation driven) categorization of features (e.g. articulations, clefs, noteheads, etc. as categories) -> "technical/reference manual", or (b) by (user driven) notational style (vocal/instrumental music, ancient/classical/jazz/contemporary notation) -> "user manual". The current structure of the manual is a mixture of both approaches.

I agree that it is not good to have special fermatas appear in both sections, 6.5.1 and 8.4.4. I guess (but I have not checked) that they appear in 6.5.1 because the table in this section was/is automatically created from the scm sources. I feel a little bit uncomfortable with completetly removing the fermatas from Section 8.4.4, because it is handy to have it there for people who want to look for all contemporary music features without having to scan through the complete manual. Maybe in Section 8.4 there should be at least a link to Section 6.5.1, mentioning that there are some contemporary fermatas in the articulations section?

Please also note, that Section 7.7 (ancient notation) is in a comparable situation. For example, all the ancient clefs could be moved to Section 6.3.1, but then Section 6.3.1 would somewhat explode in size, thus making it difficult to read for users that are interested just in "usual" notation. Hence, it is probably better to keep the clefs separated in two different sections.

As a side note, when I added the special fermatas, I thought they were in some sense "standard" contemporary notation, because I had seen them in some scores. However, it turned out that these scores were published by a single famous publisher, but I never saw these fermatas in any score of a different publisher. In this sense, I meanwhile somewhat regret that I added these symbols without having checked carefully enough for these symbols having been truely accepted as a standard across publishers/composers.

Greetings,
Juergen

I can't remember if I wrote it, or if this is an old section left over from a long time ago when those fermatas weren't in the general articulation file. I can't find any recent mention of this in the Changelog.

I'd like to delete it; any objections?