Re: setting the number of pages for a score

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: setting the number of pages for a score
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:43:37 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
It is necessary that both the left and the right page are treated
as a pair, having the same number of bars.  A good place for a page
break is a larger rest in either the left or right hand of one of
the two players.

Hopefully, the used algorithm can be prepared to handle this --
it's not necessary to implement it right now (it sounds like a
sponsored feature :-) but it would be a pity if the new stuff makes
it impossible to do that.

I think the current plan is to include a page-turn-weight variable
that, if set to zero will cause the breaker to ignore page turns
entirely. You could then force breaks with \pageBreak and
\noPageBreak and do it manually that way. I would like to continue
to allow manual overrides as much as possible.

Hmm, I don't understand your answer.  My main concern is to make
lilypond handle the above described situation automatically --
lilypond's normal page breaking algorithm won't work because the left
and right page for `primo' and `secondo' have be handled
synchronously.

Obviously, code needs to be written for this special case, to interleave the pages of the two final scores. This might also be a good application of lp-book, btw.