Re: setting the number of pages for a score

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: setting the number of pages for a score
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:55:06 +0100 (CET)

> >It is necessary that both the left and the right page are treated
> >as a pair, having the same number of bars.  A good place for a page
> >break is a larger rest in either the left or right hand of one of
> >the two players.
> >
> >Hopefully, the used algorithm can be prepared to handle this --
> >it's not necessary to implement it right now (it sounds like a
> >sponsored feature :-) but it would be a pity if the new stuff makes
> >it impossible to do that.
>
> I think the current plan is to include a page-turn-weight variable
> that, if set to zero will cause the breaker to ignore page turns
> entirely. You could then force breaks with \pageBreak and
> \noPageBreak and do it manually that way. I would like to continue
> to allow manual overrides as much as possible.

Hmm, I don't understand your answer.  My main concern is to make
lilypond handle the above described situation automatically --
lilypond's normal page breaking algorithm won't work because the left
and right page for `primo' and `secondo' have be handled
synchronously.  Here an example of the distribution of bars.  The even
pages are on the left.

   page         secondo            primo
     2           1-40               --
     3            --               1-40
     4           41-70              --
     5            --               41-70

Of course I can manually insert \pageBreaks, but...  Just to be sure:
Have you ever seen such primo/secondo scores?  Maybe we are
miscommunicating.

    Werner