Re: A quest through the docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: A quest through the docs
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:41:16 -0800

On 25-Feb-06, at 9:39 PM, Don Blaheta wrote:

Quoth Graham Percival:
On 24-Feb-06, at 8:49 PM, Don Blaheta wrote:
* 10.5.7 should have an example layout block like the following:
  \layout {
    indent = #0
    line-width = #150
    raggedlast = ##t
  }

The problem with arguing "by this point in the manual" is that the
manual is not always read sequentially, and people may or may not have
read the appropriate other bits recently. Another problem is that while
it may be obvious when you read something what it does, reconstructing
the fragment is not always as obvious. :P

The only line that might need explanation is the line-width. These commands obvious set values; setting a value to #0 is pretty obvious, and we use ##t and ##f all over the place. As for line-width, the only thing to explain is that the value is in staff-spaces... but we use such values all over the manual. I've added an explanation of it in chapter 4, and I'm looking for a good place somewhere in chapter 10... but it doesn't make sense to sprinkle two dozen explanations about staff-spaces throughout the manual. I'd say that three times (not counting the tutorial and chapter 4) is the absolute maximum number of times we should repeat info.