Re: C++ vs. Scheme

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: C++ vs. Scheme
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:34:26 -0700

David Feuer wrote:
What's the rationale behind the division into C++ and Scheme?  I don't
quite see why Lilypond uses C++ and Guile rather than using a serious
Scheme implementation (like PLT) and working to shift code from C++
over to Scheme.
It's simple. Scheme code will probably never run as fast as C++. Some fully compiled language is needed for speed for the heavy internal calculations. I doesn't have to be C++ but Han-Wen is not going to rewrite the C++ at this point. Check the archive for these discussions.

Paul Scott