Re: C++ vs. Scheme

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: C++ vs. Scheme
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:35:54 +0200

David Feuer wrote:
On 4/4/06, Pedro Kröger <address@hidden> wrote:
Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

It's simple.  Scheme code will probably never run as fast as C++.
Unless, of couse, one uses a scheme compiler that can generate fast
code, like bigloo [1].

Or a Scheme system like PLT that uses JIT compilation (mzscheme),
supports separate compilation for time critical sections (mzc), and
has a foreign function interface for C++ and C. The big advantage? Rapid development. If Scheme isn't fast enough for some things, they
can be written in C. I suspect there are few of those.

The choice for GUILE is mostly historical, and I'm all for switching to Mz, but I fear that such a move involves a tremendous amount of work, due to API differences.

You're welcome to give an Mz port a try, if you think it's feasible.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com