Re: Stencils

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Stencils
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:47:51 +0200

David Feuer wrote:
On 4/6/06, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

They participate, in that their dimension fields are used for various
computations.  Simply said,  a stencil is a combination of output format
and a bbox.

Once a stencil is constructed, is it ever adjusted?  That is, once the
stencil is made, does Lilypond ever go back in and shift the contents
around, or is it treated as a single unit from then on?

No it's read-only, so it's never changed.

2.  The more I read the code and think about it, the more I think
stencil interpretation should be pushed to the back end and written in
Scheme.
what exactly do you want to push back?

The way I understand it, Lilypond constructs a stencil to represent an
object, and the largest stencils (lines?  pages?) are then interpreted
to produce output.  I suggest that the back ends should get the
stencils themselves.

There's nothing against that, but it may have a performance impact if you do this. See stencil-interpret.cc for more info.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com