Re: Some code for polygons

From: David Feuer
Subject: Re: Some code for polygons
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:02:36 -0400

On 4/12/06, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Indeed; no need for an assert.  But in that case ... found it
>
> define-markup-command.scm:
> (define-markup-command (triangle layout props filled) (boolean?)
>   "A triangle, filled or not"
>
> we use it to draw `white' triangles for chords...

Yuck.  This makes a great argument for my proposal to get the
arbitrary Scheme code out of stencils (so there's only -one- place in
the source that produces output code).  The easiest way to keep this
working the same as it does now is to name my new functions
filled-polygon and retain the old (really simple) polygon drawers in
the backends.  The polygon procedure in lookup.cc can still go away.
I'm a bit curious, though, why the triangles are done that way, which
lets the blot exceed the normal bounds.  If that behavior is a bug,
then something else will need to be done.  One option might be to make
triangle-shrinking code, which would be a bit icky, but not as icky as
general polygon-shrinking code, because triangles have some pretty
nice geometric properties.  I have another couple ideas, but I'm still
working those out.

David