Re: gub progress

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: gub progress
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 01:40:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Erik Sandberg wrote:

> Also, what's the next step once lilypond-HEAD works nicely? I suppose the
> first step is to make a local mirror of the lily cvs repository; in that
> case, any suggestions for a good choice of version control system?

I already proposed git, but you can basically pick your choice out of
several programs: AFAIK git, cogito, mercurial, bzr, baz, darcs are
equally feature-wise. If you insist on a single respository, you can also
take Subversion.

My favourite is git, evidently, mainly because it is blazingly fast, and
has good integration with cvs.

> I'd like something that
> - can merge changes from and to the official lily cvs repository nicely and
> easily

from: git-cvsimport. to: git-cvsexportcommit.

> - presumably works similarly well with the revision control system we
> will use after we have ditched cvs.

I'd be very careful ditching cvs. Most open source developers know cvs,
and it is the greatest common denominator.

Also, if you want to ditch cvs, you always leave somebody behind. For
example, from what I understand, Han-Wen likes darcs very much... and I
know plenty people (me included) who don't like it. Same goes for every
version control system, but at least people are _used_ to cvs.

Ciao,
Dscho