Re: applyContext and music streams

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: applyContext and music streams
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:33:02 +0200

Erik Sandberg schreef:
Hi,

There are two different ways of handling applyContext for music streams:
1. The way I did it in my thesis: leave the command as it is, and just let the apply-context-iterator apply the function. 2. Send the function in a stream event, and let a translator apply the function (similar to how applyOutput is implemented).

I like (1) better, because it makes the music stream format more simple/verbose (it should always be possible to encode the the actions of an applyContext as stream events, if they affect output).

However, I realise that (1) will however break some code, such as wilhelmus.ly, which currently set properties directly instead of using stream events (if wilhelmus is exported to a music stream and then reloaded to a different context tree, the property changes will be lost).

I think (1) is better too. Breaking wilhelmus.ly is a non-issue; we can adapt it if necessary. It should use the

  \override Foo #'space-alist #'staff-bar = #5

form anyway.

BTW: My current progress is that all information now goes through the stream. I propose that we add command-line flags --[no-]isolated-iteration, which makes iteration and translation use separate context trees. This would be slightly inefficient, but useful for testing/debugging, so it could be defaulted to #t in development versions and to #f in stable ones.

I don't understand the issue. What do we gain by either solution?

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com