Re: About lilypond's build problem with debian

From: Thomas Bushnell BSG
Subject: Re: About lilypond's build problem with debian
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:57:14 -0700

Ludovic RESLINGER <address@hidden> writes:

> I saw in archive some messages about a problem to build lilypond in
> debian unstable. I think this is not a problem of python's version, because
> I tested to build with python2.4 and python2.5, and the problem stay the
> same:
>
> chmod 755 out/convert-ly
> /usr/bin/perl /home/me/lilypond-2.8.4/buildscripts/out/help2man
> out/convert-ly > out/convert-ly.1
> help2man: can't get `--help' info from out/convert-ly
> make[1]: *** [out/convert-ly.1] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/lilypond-2.8.4/scripts'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I reported this bug on lilypond-devel back on April 27, in a message
titled "building lilypond 2.8.1 on Debian unstable".

The problem is that lilypond's build system assumes that lilypond is
already installed on the system.

Han-Wen Nienhuys said no, it uses LILYPONDPREFIX, but as I point out
in the thread, it is setting LILYPONDPREFIX *incorrectly*, and the
reason the builds are working for Han-Wen is that he already has
lilypond installed.

I'm distressed that nobody has bothered to fix the bug since then.  In
the thread on the mailing list you can see that if LILYPONDPREFIX is
set correctly, the bug goes away.

Thomas