Re: Compression penalties

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Compression penalties
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:32:18 +1000

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 11:54 +0200, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
> Joe Neeman <address@hidden> writes:

> >> But please do not delete the old line breaker and its interface, so that
> >> it should still be called by user code.
> >
> > The old line breaker can't be called by user code. Do you mean the page
> > breaker?
>
> I did mean line breaker, the one that is called via
> ly:paper-book-systems.

Ah, OK. In my working copy, I still have this function except that it
uses the new line breaking algorithm (compression penalties and all).

In order to keep backwards compatibility, I could make compression
penalties configurable (a paper block variable, say). The page breakers
could default to creating line breakers with a positive compression
penalty. Paper_score::get_paper_systems could default to creating a line
breaker with a zero compression penalty (in this case, the new line
breaker should give the exact same result as the old one).

How does that sound?