Re: lilypond on FreeBSD?

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: lilypond on FreeBSD?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:12:56 -0700

On Saturday 21 October 2006 00:55, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> We base the FreeBSD binaries on 4.10-RELEASE-p2.  Would it make
> sense to support 6.x as well?  If so, we need a binary of
> the c library to bootstrap the build

  Version 4 is about as far back as any updates go into FreeBSD right now. 5
is considered old and 6.1 is recommended to users. Look forward to 6.2
(estimated by mid November) as the new 'Release' version: Releases are
intended as the most stable workplace for people who want to use something
tha works, not as a place to try out the latest new code and bugtest.
  Months ago things improved in FreeBSD for the ports tree (a collection of
makefiles and other files to help users get software installed) which should
make porting a newer version of lilypond relatively easy. Libtool was one
place I remember trouble in getting the port working right, even when I could
compile otherwise. If the port can be made, then package creation should be
little more than commands in the ports tree. I will have to take another stab
at it again in the very near future. The current version in ports in 2.2.2
and the development version was removed a while back. Some work was done to
update it by someone else, but I guess that did not go through with success.
  As for library versions, I know that multiple versions can coexist (and will
do so until programs using old libraries are updated to the newer ones). I am
not sure how using an older version is handled if it did not exist on the
system already. As some of you out there likely know much better than I, care
to clarify any library topics for me; I do accept pointing to documentation
as help too.
Ed Sutton