Re: overall performance

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: overall performance
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:53:43 -0800

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Graham Percival escreveu:
Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
I've just pushed a change which enables (commented out) skylines for
separation items. Could you have another look at skyline performance?
I'm seeing a signifcant performance impact on enabling it.
Would it be desirable to have
\fastProcessing
\qualityProcessing
macros?

No, this is as stupid as the 'windows video acceleration' settings:
most users won't know they're there,

Well, that's what the documentation is for.

and if they know, it's not clear what the settings do.

That's what ly/property-init.ly is for.

We occasionally get people (even me!) sending "bug" reports about
\override Score.PaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t

You said that it added 5% or 10% to the processing time, so it wasn't worth having it on by default. That's fine; I'm not criticizing that decision. But what if somebody _is_ willing to spend that extra processing time to get great-looking music? Currently they need to comb through the manual (and program reference, because I haven't documented every case because I don't know them all!) to find all such options.

At the very least we should have a doc page with the "higher quality output commands that are turned off by default" \override commands. Why not also make a
\qualifyProcessing

macro that sets it up for them as well?