Re: overall performance

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: overall performance
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 13:01:16 +0100

Graham Percival escreveu:
> You said that it added 5% or 10% to the processing time, so it wasn't
> worth having it on by default.  That's fine; I'm not criticizing that
> decision.  But what if somebody _is_ willing to spend that extra
> processing time to get great-looking music?  Currently they need to comb
> through the manual (and program reference, because I haven't documented
> every case because I don't know them all!) to find all such options.

IIRC, in this case, it's not clear that the result is always better.

> At the very least we should have a doc page with the "higher quality
> output commands that are turned off by default" \override commands.  Why
> not also make a
> \qualifyProcessing
>
> macro that sets it up for them as well?

I think that adding such a section is a good idea. Let's wait with
adding \qualityProcessing when that section is there, and there are so
much commands that make this worthwhile.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com