Re: writing a 'development with gub' howto

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: writing a 'development with gub' howto
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:05:12 +0100

Erik Sandberg escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I've decided to write a howto for setting up GUB for developing lily, mostly
> because I need to learn how to work efficiently with GUB (too much of my dev
> time is wasted because I use gub in the wrong way). I will put the howto on
> the lilypond wiki; an initial stub is available at:
> http://lilypondwiki.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Development_with_GUB
>
> The target audience is people who (like me) are not very familiar with git or
> gub, and want to hack lily.
>
> I think there will be a few steps in the howto:
> 0. set up GUB initially (I don't have to write anything, the gub README is
> sufficient)
> 1. create an alternative git branch master-foo, for developing a new feature.
> 2. set up gub to generate an additional binary lilypond-foo in addition to
> the
> normal lilypond binary. lilypond-foo is built from the lilypond-foo branch,
> and uses the --enable-debugging and --disable-optimisation parameters
> to ./configure.

Configure with --enable-config=foo ; this will produce config-foo.make and
output in out-foo/ files

> 3. everyday development process: modify source, make; test, debug; commit
> locally; make download, git-rebase.

I'm not sure that this is an easy approach. I mostly do development (compile +
debug)
in a normal tree and use GUB for building the website and output-distance
measurements

However target/PLATFORM/src/lilypond-master-foo/ contains a GIT repo, so you
could
do development there.

> 4. how to submit changes: git-diff / git-push

you'll want to use git-show iso. git-diff.

> The main reason why I want to write this, is that I don't know how to do
> everything properly (in particular I don't know how to do point 2). Whenever
> there's something I don't know, I will start with an (unqualified) guess, so
> the information on the howto may be misleading at first. Any help is
> appreciated.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com