Re: Documentation translation: first patch

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Documentation translation: first patch
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:35:56 +0100

John Mandereau escreveu:
> Since the translated documentation itself is ready to be released, merge
> and apply your trick as you like.
>
> So, I have a question about merging branches, since I may need to do it
> sooner or later. IIRC, Han-Wen has once told Joe Neeman on the list that
> it was better to merge with git-rebase. Let's take a concrete example:
> suppose you want to merge fr-doc (I mean, a local branch with exactly
> matches fr-doc on git.sv.gnu.org) onto stable/2.10, and suppose your
> current checked out branch is fr-doc. If I understand correctly, the
> command to issue would be
>
> git-rebase stable/2.10
>
> right? And then I guess the resulting branch may be pushed to
> stable/2.10, is it ok?

Yes, that looks right.

> Another example: once fr-doc has been merged, suppose you want to work
> on fr-doc again, based on the current stable/2.10 branch; is the same
> command above the best way to do it?

Not necessarily. You might want to use the stable/2.10 as a starting point,
and branch off fr-doc again, either by removing the old fr-doc again, or
by fast-forwarding fr-doc to the current stable/2.10.

> Even if I'm not ready to commit anything, I can tell you a bit about my
> plans. I'm working on hardlinking most files from out-www directories
> to /out-www/{offline,online}-root, because copying them twice (for the

yes, please do. Copies are only necessary if you intend to modify the files.

> Btw, you haven't answered my proposition for language selection in
> offline docs: is it OK to copy every foo.html file that is not
> translated in LANG to foo.LANG.html, and then replacing *.html hrefs
> with *.LANG.html in all (i.e. real translations and copies of the
> English docs) *.LANG.html files?

Yes, I think there is no other way.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation