Re: Re-write of documentation tree build process

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Re-write of documentation tree build process
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:02:44 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, John Mandereau wrote:

>             doctype = '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN">\n'
>             s = doctype + s
Does the 'EN' means that the page language is English? If so, it should
be modified to handle pages of any language.

No. The whole string is just the ID of the HTML DTD and thus does not change as long as you stick to HTML 4.01 Transitional). See:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.2

I am not sure about the exact meaning of the "EN" within the DTD ID string; you probably would have to look into ISO 8879; but that's not online available, as far as I know.

Greetings,
Juergen