RE: Fret-diagrams context

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Fret-diagrams context
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:29:41 -0700

Han-Wen wrote:

> IIRC I recently added FretDiagrams context.
>
> It's not documented, but can you have a look at the regtests to see if
> > it suits you?
>

>2006/12/26, Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden>:
>> Han-wen,
>>
>> After trying to get the time to get around to developing a
>> fret-diagrams context for a couple of years, it's become apparent
that
>> I've got too much other stuff going on to get to it.
>>
>> I wonder what it might cost to sponsor defelopment of a fret-diagrams

>> context.  The fret-diagrams context would take a \chordmode sequence
>> and would produce fret diagrams.  I envision that fret diagrams would

>> be stored in a hash-table and indexed with a chord (the result of
>> parsing a chord in chordmode, I expect).

The FretBoards context that is currently implemented is capable of
automatically calculating fret diagrams from notes, as far as I can see.
This is helpful if you have chords for which you want to automatically
get fret diagrams.  However, I'd like to have something slightly
different.

What I'm looking for is a named set of guitar fret diagrams.  These
would be indexed by standard chords.  So that if I passed FretDiagrams
\chordmode {d} I would get "x,x,o,2,3,2", and if I passed FretDiagrams
\transpose d e { \chordmode {d}} I would get "o,2,2,1,o,o".  The chord
is what would be transposed, not the diagram.  And the diagram can't be
computed from the chord, because the chord doesn't have all the notes in
the diagram.

I'd expect that the performance I'd like to see could be integrated with
the current FretBoards context.  The context could take the chord and
look in the hash table to see if a diagram existed.  If so, it would use
the diagram from the hash table; if not, it would automatically
calculate the diagram as it currently does.

Since you've created the context, I'd guess that I could figure out how
to  modify it to get the performance I'd like.  But with my limited time
available, I'd probably rather sponsor the changes.

Thanks,

Carl