Re: Help with git and LilyPond Tutorial

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Help with git and LilyPond Tutorial
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:15:45 +0100

> I think you have a minor bug in your description: instead of
>
> $ touch empty ; git add empty ; git commit  -m 'empty' empty
> $ git pull git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/ web/master:
> $ git repack

These instructions come from README in branch web/master of Savannah git
repo. Should they simply replaced with the command below?

> you should do
>
> $ git fetch git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/ web/master:web/master

I thought git-clone was the command to use.

> Then, branch from the upstream with
>
> $ git checkout -b myweb web/master
>
> Now you are on branch "myweb", which is identical to "web/master" until
> you commit your own changes.
>
> Subsequent pulls can be done with
>
> $ git pull git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/ web/master:web/master
>
> which not only updates "myweb", but also stores the remote "web/master" in
> your local repository, so you can always get a diff between the tips of
> "myweb" and "web/master" by
>
> $ git diff web/master..myweb

These instructons seem to be clear. With your permission, I may add them
to http://lilypondwiki.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Translations_HOWTO

John Mandereau <address@hidden>