Re: Priority 2 Translation of web site to spanish

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Priority 2 Translation of web site to spanish
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:41:43 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Daniel Tonda wrote:

> ¿The commitish id has changed for these files, this is the expected
> behaviour?

Yes. A commit in git is sort of a tag: It contains everything which makes
up a revision. So, if you say "git commit", you actually construct a new
state from the _whole_ tree. There is no such thing as a file version in
git.

(More technical: the commit _object_ contains the commit message, author
and committer information, a pointer to the tree and pointer(s) to the
parent commit(s). The commit id is a hash of the commit object,
including the pointers. Thereby it really hashes _all_ ancestors, too.)

> git-rev-head HEAD | head -1, which shows a different committish than the
> previous, but git didn't complain, so I assume I'm doing it right.

You meant "git-rev-parse", right? A much easier method to verify where you
are is to say

        $ git show HEAD

This gives you the commit id, the message and the patch of the last
commit.

> For each file:
> scripts/check-translation.py <file>
> git-update-index --add <file>

Easier:

        $ git add <file>

> Checked which files wer to be commited via git-status, and finally:
>
> git-commit -m "message"

If you only added files, that is okay. If you also modified files, you can
do one of these:

1) Easiest: "git commit -a -m 'message'". This tells git to commit all
added and modified files (it will not add untracked files). If you deleted
a tracked file, it will commit that, too.

2) More precise: "git commit -m 'message' <file1> <file2>". This allows
you to exclude some modified files (if you want to commit them separately,
for example).

3) Inconvenient: "git update-index <file1> <file2>; git commit -m
'message'". This is only for hardcore git hackers who want to live a hard
life.

> ¿After this commit, it is recommended to do the pull?

Yes.

Ciao,
Dscho