tracking two git branches at once

From: Graham Percival
Subject: tracking two git branches at once
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 23:37:48 -0800

Is there a way to keep two branches on my filesystem at once? Err, this is probably a bad way of phrasing the question, so I'll just describe the problem:

Most of the time I track master. I have the documentation built, so whenever I make a change it only takes a few minutes to compile the changed the files.

Occasionally I want to make a one-line change to web/master. If I just do "git checkout web/master", then I get a weird mixture of master and web/master (because git doesn't remove my Documentation/ because I have compiled files in there). I can avoid this weird mixture by deleting all the files before checking out the new branch, but then when I go back to master, it takes me an hour to compile all the docs. As a result, I tend to wait for a week or two before making changes to web/master.

Can I have a pair of directories like
lily-main/master
lily-main/web

which track different branches of git? (ie without downloading all changes twice)