Re: Memory leaks again

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Memory leaks again
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:58:24 +0100

Most of the so-called "leaks" you see with top / ps aren't leaks, but
artefacts of GUILE, that thinks that it should adjust its footprint to
the supposedly high memory usage of LilyPond. The last time this
happened was when some bozo introduced the use of (ice-9 format) in
the backends.

To troubleshoot this, it would be helpful to know which commit
introduced the problem.

2007/3/4, John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
Le vendredi 02 mars 2007 à 18:32 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> I know that Han-Wen fixed a huge number of memory leaks sometime around
> version 2.11.12; I think a few have crept back in.  I was just compiling
> the docs, and lilypond's memory footprint went above 300 megs (I stopped
> it then and restarted it).  I have no definite numbers, but I'm pretty
> certain that lilypond didn't use that much memory when I was compiling
> the docs a few weeks ago (with 2.11.18).

I confirm that devel branch lily memory usage increased a bit recently
on my x86 Fedora Core box, but there are certainly not as many or huge
leaks as there used to be.  I trust the hackers to fix them before
2.12 :-)

Anyway, it seems logical to a simple user like me that as LilyPond
automates more the engraving process, it uses more memory and CPU time.