Re: INSTALL?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: INSTALL?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:03:40 -0700

Short answer: I split the documentation into "lilypond format" and "program usage" (everything else, from install to lilypond-book)

Long answer: discussion started here
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-07/msg00092.html

I admit that I completely forgot about the text INSTALL file. I suggest that we simply make a text file that says

Please see
        info lilypond-program
or the online documentation at
        http://whatever

I've seen this method used in other projects.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Hi,

Something happened to our toplevel INSTALL file.  I just had a quick
look and here's part of the trail

    The new manual is located in Documentation/user/lilypond-program.tely;
    it includes install.itexi (moved from topdocs/INSTALL.texi),
    running.itely, lilypond-book.itely and converters.itely.

    Rename install to fit naming scheme of other files.

    Reorg of install.itely.

    Remove unused install.itexi

    don't dist INSTALL.txt

Users of a (GNU) source package expect to find a file called INSTALL
(and README, AUTHORS, etc) with build instructions and a specification
of dependencies.  Where has the info from INSTALL gone, and what is
the best way to regenerate the toplevel INSTALL?

Jan.