musicxml2ly patch for articulations (fermata, staccato, accent, etc.)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: musicxml2ly patch for articulations (fermata, staccato, accent, etc.)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:31:00 +0200

Hi Lilypond devels!
Attached is a patch for musicxml2ly (and the other required python files) to
convert articulations like fermata, staccato, tenuto, tremolo (only
single-note tremolo), accents, etc.
These entries in the xml are inside the <notation>...</notation> tags, listed
in the <ornaments>, <technical> and <articulations> tags.

The patch is for an installed version of lilypond from the pre-compiled
packages. Version is 2.10.25

Other issues with musicxml2ly, which are still open:
-) dynamic marks (given in a <direction> tag, assigned to the staff at a given
position in xml, not to a note like in lilypond)
-) (de-)crescendo (begin/end also given in a <direction> tag, not assigned to
a particular note)
-) parts with multiple staves (i.e. a piano staff in xml is given as one part,
with the <staff> tag for each note indicating to which staff the note
belongs. The notes for each of the staves need to be extracted first, similar
to the voices)
-) Lyrics (assigned to a note); probably need to be extracted while processing
the voices and stored for later processing in a temporary array
-) Sorting of the parts in the .ly output. Currently, their order is not first
staff, second staff, third, etc. but seemingly random
-) Instrument names (given as part names in xml)
-) Chords in xml are indicated by a <chord/> tag in the subsequent notes of
the score, so that a sequential processing of the <note> elements needs to
take into account that the next note might belong to the same chord.
Currently, chords are not handled at all.

I'll see what I can do about these issues.

Now that OMR applications like Audiveris (https://audiveris.dev.java.net/) or
SmartScore are in a state where they detect most of the music correctly, I
think it's more important than ever to have a good MusicXML to Lilypond
converter so that one can scan in a score and process it with lilypond
without loosing too much of the music.

Cheers,
Reinhold