Re: For future 2.14 doc discussion -- increasingly realistic musical exa

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: For future 2.14 doc discussion -- increasingly realistic musical examples
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:50:32 -0700

Trevor Bača wrote:
Sure, I'd be happy to. (And if winds up being too complicated, then
that's certainly OK; just keep me in check!)
Go nuts. :) My only concern is the vertical space of the printed music on the page. For the lilypond input, do whatever you want. Overrides, scheme, Turing machine simulation, whatever.
If I'm reading right then I think you're thinking of like a "headword"
example above each section in the manual? So there would be 1 fancy
example for 8.1.1, another fancy example for 8.1.2, and a third for
8.1.3, and so on?
A "headword" for each *section*, not subsection. There's X lines of fancy example for 8.1. Nothing for 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.3, etc. Just to make sure we're on the same page, open up 8.1 Text. I want this to look like this:
-------------------------------------

8.1 Text
This section explains how to include text (with various formatting) in your scores. To write accented and special text (such as characters from other languages), simply insert the characters directly into the lilypond file. The file must be saved as UTF-8. For more information, see Text encoding <cid:part1.05030806.05010401@gmail.com>.

----------------
---fancy------
---music---------
----example-----

   * Text scripts <cid:part2.04050803.06090701@gmail.com>
   * Text and line spanners <cid:part3.04050504.07000306@gmail.com>
   * Text spanners <cid:part4.09010909.09040005@gmail.com>

I'd like to see at least "* Text scripts" when I look at this page in the docs; that's the reason for the vertical constraint.

As an aside, does anybody know how to tell thunderbird not to do any bloody HTML stuff? I don't want to read it, and I _certainly_ don't want to send it. My apologies if this message turns up in html; I did a cut&paste from the manual, and it seems to have come with some formatting. :(

Cool. I can throw some time at that :-) Graham, if you have a set of
sections in mind that you'd like me to try first, just let me know.
Pick whatever you want.  :)    Just do one for now; let's see how it feels.