Re: For future 2.14 doc discussion -- increasingly realistic musical exa

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: For future 2.14 doc discussion -- increasingly realistic musical examples
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 09:46:46 -0700

Valentin Villenave wrote:
Hmmm... Does it means that Trevor's Debussy examples are not to be
added? I must have missed something in the discussion; I thought
wherever we could find "nice" and simple examples, the current manual
examples could be replaced with those.
You probably missed the nuance of this email:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-08/msg00178.html

The underlying message in that email is  (err, Trevor, look somewhere
else for a moment)  "are you crazy?!  replacing the current examples
with stuff like this is totally out of the question."   However, it was
phrased as nicely as possible, since Trevor is one of our very best
users.  :)

The Debussy example could certainly be added as a "demonstration"
snippets if Trevor doesn't want to use that space for other examples.
The impression I got was that he had even fancier things in mind, though.
OK, this is a different kind of examples (what I called "non-verbatim"
examples). It's more about demonstrating features than "teaching" how
to do it simply, isnt'it?
Yes.
 (As I already said, both verbatim and
non-verbatim examples are welcome.)
I disagree.  With the possible exception of these "demonstration"
snippets, all the snippets in the manual should be verbatim.  I know we
have a few non-verbatim examples left, but I plan on cleaning those up.
I mentioned Han-Wen's "screech and boink" example, which had impressed
me as a teenager; I think very short examples can be more impressive,
and more efficient -- how about:
-One system from a Stockhausen Klavierstücke
-One system from a Grisey ensemble piece
-possibly one system from a graphical Cage piece (to demonstrate clusters, etc.)
Assuming that there's no copyright issues (if it's just a few bars, it
should fall under fair use / fair dealing), that sounds good in principle.

As previously discussed, I'm only willing to allocate about half a
screen-worth of space for "demonstration" snippets in the manual  These
will be non-verbatim, so the lilypond input can be as complicated/messy
as you want.

Now, as you know quite well, the manual isn't the only place to put
stuff.  We could add a directory in LSR for demonstrations, or simply
add things to the Examples page.