Re: GDP: fifth arrangement

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: GDP: fifth arrangement
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:44:36 -0400

Trevor (et al),

Does anyone else get this feeling (in English), ie,
that vocal music isn't really instrumental music?

No... to me, "vocal music" (as opposed to "choral music") is a SUPERSET or EXTENSION of instrumental music -- i.e., it almost always incorporates a vocal line PLUS an instrumental line (usually piano).

I'm also not a fan of chord names coming in the middle of the
instrument sequence ... chord names aren't instrument specific in any way.

Agreed... plus they're not really "music" (in the notation sense of the word), but rather TEXTUAL REPRESENTATIONS of music.

Best,
Kieren.