Syntax highlighting in LilyPad?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Syntax highlighting in LilyPad?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:54:25 +0800

Hello,

Sometimes (frequently enough, as I'm kind of an efficient LilyPond
preacher), one of my pupils brings me his laptop and proudly tells me
"look Valentin, I've installed LilyPond; now please show me how to use
it!"

(yeah, I told them to call me "Master", but, you know...)

In such cases, where I find myself in front of an XP box with *no*
text editor but notepad.exe, it's always a bit hard to show my pupils
the beauty of LilyPond, and since there's no Wifi in the Conservatory,
I can't download Java and jEdit (which I would otherwise do).

I often wish there were some very basic syntax highlighting and
indenting features in LilyPond's integrated notepad (at least the
win32 version); though I'm not a programmer, I imagine this would be
rather simple to implement, maybe by using some code from other
opensource win32 editors like Notepad++ or Notepad2 (which is based on
Scintilla), or from scratch. So, as I guess nobody else will be
interested in working on such "collateral" win32-only task, I'm
willing to give it a try myself, even if I might very well not be able
to come up with anything at the end.

I tried to find the sources for the current "lilypad" application, but
couldn't find anything in git. Where can I find it? Would it be OK for
me to modify it on my own? And would it be OK to redistribute (at
least, to my pupils) such a modified LilyPond version, bundled with a
different  editor, so that they can have immediate access to a decent
editor by clicking on the LilyPond desktop-icon-shortcut thing?

(provided I would *only* use GPL code, with full credits and
everything, of course)

Regards,
Valentin