Re: Caesura, n-th time :)

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: Caesura, n-th time :)
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 19:26:27 +0200

Werner LEMBERG schrieb:

The first one is a stab at a new caesura glyph that has continuously
been requested on this list, according to the archives.

Is there any reason why you are replacing the old glyph shape instead
of adding a new one?

Well, the comment in mf/feta-schrift.mf:

  % I actually have no clue how they should look, so we use a slightly
  % curvy and tapered shape.

seemed to imply that the shape was designed by guessing, not by using a hand-engraved example. Also, the corresponding threads in the mailing list archives gave the impression that all real-world examples encountered by users had the shape of straigth parallel slashes. That's why I suggested to replace the glyph. Sorry if I offended anyone - this was certainly not my intention. Also, I agree that adding it as an alternative - as suggested by Han-Wen in a separate email - is certainly better (just didn't occur to me, don't ask me why :)). A corresponding patch will follow.

The only problem seemed to be that the corners didn't look very
symmetrical (which by the way is also the case with the existing
"noteheads.s[012]slash" glyphs).

Regarding `noteheads.s[012]slash', this is not true.  If you use
mf2pt1 to generate the feta fonts you can see that.  I rather suspect
an artifact of the current glyph generation with mftrace.

Interesting. How can I make lily use mf2pt1 to generate the fonts? Also, since I don't have a high-resolution printer, the only way to closely inspect the glyphs is (rather awkwardly) by using Acrobat Reader with the greates zoom level, which often also seems to show artefacts like edges that certainly shouldn't be there (or is this an mftrace-related problem, too?). Do you have any suggestions how to do this more conveniently and, more importantly, less error-prone?

Thanks,
Max