Re: Caesura, n-th time :)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Caesura, n-th time :)
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 20:15:30 +0200 (CEST)

> Well, the comment in mf/feta-schrift.mf:
>
>    % I actually have no clue how they should look, so we use a
>    % slightly curvy and tapered shape.
>
> seemed to imply that the shape was designed by guessing, not by
> using a hand-engraved example.  Also, the corresponding threads in
> the mailing list archives gave the impression that all real-world
> examples encountered by users had the shape of straigth parallel
> slashes.  That's why I suggested to replace the glyph.

... Basically, you are right, however, we have already to think about
backwards compatibility...

> Sorry if I offended anyone - this was certainly not my intention.

No offence!

> > Regarding `noteheads.s[012]slash', this is not true.  If you use
> > mf2pt1 to generate the feta fonts you can see that.  I rather
> > suspect an artifact of the current glyph generation with mftrace.
>
> Interesting. How can I make lily use mf2pt1 to generate the fonts?

As documented in mf/README, for example:

  mf2pt1 --rounding=0.001 --ffscript=makelilypond.pe feta26

The script `makelilypond.pe' is attached (however, it isn't necessary
for inspection).  I'm sending you some output privately.

> Also, since I don't have a high-resolution printer, the only way to
> closely inspect the glyphs is (rather awkwardly) by using Acrobat
> Reader with the greates zoom level, which often also seems to show
> artefacts like edges that certainly shouldn't be there (or is this
> an mftrace-related problem, too?).

To inspect the glyphs I suggest to use FontForge -- you need this
already to build lilypond from the sources, and mf2pt1 needs it too.

    Werner
# makelilyfont.pe

basename = Strsub ($1, 0, Strrstr ($1, "."));

Open ($1);

SelectAll ();

RemoveOverlap ();
AddExtrema ();