Re: Microtone accidentals

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: Microtone accidentals
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:03:55 +0200

Hi Victor,

sorry for this late reply - I was away over the weekend and got stuck in work once more.

I printed out your 20pt example sheet in a standard laser printer at
1200dpi.

Thanks for your feedback and your help in trying to assess these glyphs!

However, if you allow me to be ultra picky, [...]

Sure. :)

I might suggest stretching the arrows slightly (maybe an extra 50%),
keeping the width as it is.

The same thought had crossed my mind, and I did indeed play with taller (and sometimes wider) versions. It turned out that making them taller (while keeping the width) makes them look rather awkward. On the other hand, increasing both width and height makes them look unproportionally big compared to the accidentals themselves, which gives a really ugly impression.

Also, in playing with these parameters I found it difficult to decide whether the arrowtip should be covered by the staffline or if it should protrude through it (and in this case how far). For I got the impression that if the arrowtips of arrows that fall into spaces are not clearly discernible (because they are covered by the staffline or protrude too little), the corresponding arrowheads appear a bit larger than the other ones (probably caused by the additional blackness of the staffline), which gives an uneven overall impression. But this may be remediable by a careful design. If you or anyone else has any suggestions in this direction, I could try again to produce something reasonably-looking (although honestly I doubt that I would succeed, and I almost certainly won't get around to it during the next two weeks, I'm afraid :( ).

Best,
Max