Re: is a separate gdp branch useful?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: is a separate gdp branch useful?
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:24:56 +0100

Le mardi 20 novembre 2007 à 17:27 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> We're pushing all our changes.  The more I think about it, the less I
> like the notion of a separate branch:
> - John needs to merge all the updates
> - people like Mats or Rune don't track GDP, and are sensibly concerned
> about updating the docs in main if those changes might be overwritten /
> conflict with coming updates in GDP.
> - people like me avoid changing things in main (even non-doc stuff, like
> the THANKS) because I'm currently on GDP and don't feel comfortable
> switching back and forth.
>
> It made sense in the beginning, but now that we've moved to GDP before
> 2.12, I think we should just move to main.
>
> John, could you do this merge and branch delete at your convenience?

I agree it's not convenient to have several branches and merge them
frequently.  IMHO the only good reason to keep a separate branch is that
'make web' could fail because of doc commits (1), but I assume you
always 'make web' before pushing to git.sv.gnu.org ;-), and you pointed
out good reasons to merge gdp into master and delete gdp, so let's do
it!  I prefer to do it tomorrow though, as I haven't enough time to make
and make web tonight.

(1) That's why I commit translations and hack buildscripts on
lilypond/translation.

Cheers,
John