Re: Geting the list of MIDI instrument names

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Geting the list of MIDI instrument names
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:33:38 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2008 schrieben Sie:
> I haven't completely understood the whole discussion, but I'd just
> like to know if there's a way to print the MIDI instruments list in
> the PDF output, and not as a stderr message like Mats suggested;

Of course, there is. Instead of calling format on the strings, you can simply
create a markup and display the resulting list of markups using \markuplines.
Unfortunately this requires lilypond >= 2.11 :(
In lilypond 2.10, one has to use make-column-markup instead, which
unfortunately does not support automatic line breaking of the long list
(well, I'm probably just missing the proper function from 2.10, so don't take
my word as fact...).

Anyway, I submitted a snippet containing both versions (.ly and .pdf from 2.11
are also attached to this mail):
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=392

BTW, I also created a similar scheme function displaying all x11 colors
(including a filled box of that color), but didn't submit it to the LSR,
because it takes a while to format and creates 21 pages of output (mainly due
to the 100 different shades of gray, duplicated with the "grey" spelling).
I'm attaching the .ly file, too, in case anyone is interested. I'm using
\column-lines here to get a little spacing between the different colors (one
could also add the \column-lines to the midi instruments snippet to get
proper line spacing)
Again, this works with 2.11. For 2.10 one could go a similar route as with the
midi instruments snippet (but since there are no page breaks, the result
would be quite useless, showing only the first page and the rest flowing out
at the bottom of the page...)

Cheers,
Reinhold