Re: Tuplet on single-note tremolo

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Tuplet on single-note tremolo
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:37:22 +0100

Am Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2007 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> Hi,
> Schubert's Stabat Mater (D.383) contains lots of measures (3/4 time), where
> each beat is a eighth-tremolo using an additional triplet, ie. in lilypond
> notation:
>   \times 2/3 { a4.:8 } \times 4/6 {a2.:8} | ....
>
> If I use this in lilypond, it gets the timing correct, but unfortunately
> the tuplet (which appears only on a single printed note) does NOT display
> any tuplet number...

Okay, I now took a look at the code and in Tuplet_number::print, there is a
hardcoded check that kills the tuplet number if the tuplet "does not take up
any time". In my eyes, this is wrong, since then there is no visual
indication of a tuplet and the timing appears totally wrong (e.g. three
dotted quarter notes in a e/4 measure!).

Attached is a patch, which fixes this problem by removing the check for
zero-length in the tuplet number (but of course the tuplet bracket should not
be shown for single-note tuplets).
Since the tuplet number uses the positions calculated by
Tuplet_bracket::calc_positions, I removed the check there, too.
Okay to apply?

I'm also attaching a simple example to show the new output. The only
difference to the output without the patch are the "6" and the "3" in the
first measure, of course.

Cheers,
Reinhold