Re: reverted automatic-verison-number

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: reverted automatic-verison-number
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:53:50 +0100

Le lundi 25 février 2008 à 18:13 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> I have reverted the automatic-version-number patch in order to
> continue working on the docs.  Please do NOT re-apply this
> patch until you are certain it works with GUB doc-building.

The problem happens in Texinfo processing with TeX, so as far as I
understand it has little to do with which LilyPond binary you use, but
I'll check with EXTERNAL_BINARY to make sure.

> I'm not quite certain what problem this is trying to solve,
> anyway.

This tries to add exact version number (iso. 2.11.x) to Info docs, which
isn't directly available otherwise.  Additionnally, it avoids updating
version numbers manually, i.e. with sed or by hand, as convert-ly
doesn't update all version number occurences.

I'm not the first one who tried to make Lily version number available in
Texinfo docs.  Reinhold made a previous attempt with replacing
scripts/lilypond-book.py by compiled lilypond-book in docs building, but
I can't remember having tested this, and he later reverted the changes.

Cheers,
John