Re: reverted automatic-verison-number

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: reverted automatic-verison-number
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:07:43 +0100

Le mardi 26 février 2008 à 11:50 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:53:50 +0100
> John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Le lundi 25 f__vrier 2008 __ 18:13 -0800, Graham Percival a __crit :
> > > I have reverted the automatic-version-number patch in order to
> > > continue working on the docs.  Please do NOT re-apply this
> > > patch until you are certain it works with GUB doc-building.

I retored it in my branch, and I'll double test before merging into
master.

> I'm using texinfo 4.11, and I just checked and couldn't see a 4.12.
> What version are you using?

4.11-3 from Fedora 8 updates, but we use a copy of texinfo.tex in the
sources to build all LilyPond docs.  I just updated texinfo.tex in my
branch, I'll test it along with other changes.

> convert-ly most definitely *does* update the version numbers.

Not _all_ version numbers, e.g. lilypond-book version number -- see
lilypond-book.itely, "An example of a musicological document", the
version number is still 2.11.37.

We could go on updating such numbers by hand, but IMHO adding this
@version macro is not so hard and solves this for ever, it only needs
more testing (yes, I really tested all @version stuff with a clean
build, I just not tested with external_binary).

> This does solve another problem, though: the templates (with LSR-import)
> don't have any version numbers, so we might be able to use this to
> add version numbers to them.

The @version macro I wanted to add is pure Texinfo, so we can't use it
directly for ly snippets.  Lilypond-book avatar used for building docs
is not compiled and thus is not aware of LilyPond version, so we can't
ask lilypond-book to interpret @version either.

Version numbers are already present in some ly snippets, in
fundamental.itely; as we can't add \version to snippets in LSR database,
we could add them in makelsr.py only for templates.

Cheers,
John