Avoiding typing with Scheme - request

From: Meri Gabor
Subject: Avoiding typing with Scheme - request
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 09:48:50 +0000 (UTC)

Hello guys,
first of all, i have to congratulate for you Lilypond, I used some other
composition softwares, but this leave those in the dust... of course, learning
the 'programming language' took me some time LOL

To the point:
I've noticed a very useful trick in the Documentation with Scheme:

pattern = #(define-music-function (parser location x y) (ly:music? ly:music?)
     #{
       $x e8 a b $y b a e
     #})

     \relative c''{
       \pattern c8 c8\f
       \pattern {d16 dis} { ais16-> b\p }
     }

And it works of course, but i get "Parsing..." message then a quited Lilypond
when I try to define the rhytm of the x y z etc. scores like this:

$x16 $y32 $x16 $x32

I think I do something wrong. I have to update my manual because I've just
noticed the new one (2.11) on the site, possibly I have to use the following
somehow:
ly:make-duration 2 0 1 1

but on my own I can't solve this problem. Please help me.

keep up the good work
Thanks a lot,
Gabor